A new dimension to Vegetable Poriyal(s)

I started cooking, that is I mean proper cooking, only after my marriage. I then took cooking seriously so as to impress Naz with my cooking skills. He is an ardent lover of delicious food and innovative recipes :). Though not a master in non-veg cooking, I feel that I cook them better. Vegetables were a difficult thing for me; to get a veg recipe right was a big achievement for me initially. Though Samyuktha insisted on vegetarian cooking, I seldom did that. In the beginning, my cooking was mostly non-vegetarian as it was easy to bring a good taste and satisfy Naz.

It was during Samyuktha’s visit that she scribbled a few vegetable tips for me to concentrate on healthier food. I know she wouldn’t mind me blogging the same. This would definitely help people who are first timers in Vegetarian Cooking :).

This mainly focuses on how to make Vegetable Poriyal. She has covered almost all the vegetables that can be made into poriyal in our day-to-day life.


I have given the exact details of her VEG INFO that she had scribbled in my grey cook book.

1) Potato:- Easy to cook; best as cubes; be liberal with oil; only chilli powder; use less water.

2) Carrot:- Easy to cook; small pieces; minimal oil required; only green chillies; no H2O required.

3) Brinjal:- Moderate to cook; never as cubes; slices or as whole slit from top; be liberal with oil; curry leaves is a must; minimal H2O ( spary a lil’ )

4) Chenai:- (forgive me for the spelling); Any shape, if small cubes or slices be liberal with oil; it boiled then mash & squeeze lemon; only chilli powder; curry leaves very important; Easy to cook.

5) Beans:- Pieces; minimal oil; only green chillies; water is essential; Takes a lil’ longer than carrot to cook.

6) Chow Chow:- (FMFTS) Cubes; green chillies; water is necessary; tastes best with coconut powder; Add coconut powder after cooking.

7) Tomato:- As a side dish:- Make sure you u dice it well and remove the skin if u want. Add only green chillies.

8) Cauliflower:- (FMFTS) Easiest to cook; Be liberal with oil; green chillies; spray a lil’ water.

9) Cabbage:- Don’t cook for long; loses most of the vitamins when fried or heated for long; Eat it raw!!!

And finally here is her declaration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DON’T GUARANTEE ANYTHING!!

Hahhaahha…

0 Rants & Raves:

Post a Comment